Moving can be fun, but most of the time its a pain in the ass. In my short existence on this planet I have moved eleven times. I have moved not only in and around the same city but have also moved between continents.
Using my experience I have come up with the perfect moving home ‘things to keep in mind’ list:
- Close or cancel any outstanding accounts you have with utility companies. If you want to retain the the good relationship you already have with a supplier then just change your address with them. One supplier that you should double check is your broadband. The services available for this can vary between neighbourhoods so perform a broadband speed test. Use Uswitch as they will assist in giving you the best deals for your area. Without good internet access you will not be able to enjoy this website in your new home. Duh!!
- Sort through your possessions and discard of all the crap. Yes CRAP. Everyone has items that they will not need. Do not be scared to throw things away. You have acquired a lot of junk in your current home. My rule is if you have not used it in the last three months then throw it away, give it to charity or sell it.
- Packing is obviously very important when moving. Plan your packing correctly by getting enough boxes together to store your items in. Label each box with its contents, except if the contents is morally questionable. Then rather use a code word. You never know who is watching. Make up a box of essentials. This is a box with things that you might need straight away when you arrive at your new pad. Things like coffee, toilet paper and a half jack of brandy to calm the nerves.
- Make sure you get a reputable moving company. The last thing you want is just any ‘Man with Van’ showing up, because they will inevitably be suffering from a bad back which means you need to do all the heavy lifting and packing the truck. Also make sure that you have some coffee and biscuits available to offer the movers. This will secure the safety of your possessions. Think of it as a peace maker. It works trust me.
- Plan well in advance how to get the keys to your new palace. Make sure that the estate agent or previous tenant is at the new home to hand over the keys and to show you where everything is. Get them to show you where the boiler, distribution board and water metre is. You usually forget these things which leads to a panic phone call when you are forced to have cold shower.
If you remember to do those five points then you will find your moving to be reasonably comfortable. For a complete list of who you need to inform of your new address check out what the UK Government has to say.
Enjoy your new home.